Skip to main content

What My Kid is Reading: Aaron Blabey


Aaron Blabey writes fantastic children's books that appeal to both of my boys.  They are so stinkin' fun!

Pig the Pug is about a sweet dog named Trevor who lives with Pig the Pug, a stingy dog with bad habits and an even worse attitude.  The story had both my boys laughing hysterically with his rotten ways.  The rhyme scheme makes the book very easy to read.  I love that each one teaches a lesson, much to Pug's despair.

J started the year off as a reluctant reader until I picked up The Bad Guys through a Scholastic book order.  Once he started reading, he just fell in love and whizzed right through them.  They're about "bad guys" who have changed their ways and are trying to be good, although it doesn't come easily for them.  It was so much fun watching him really get into the story and laugh at the character's silly antics.  I am thrilled that I stumbled upon these!

Click here for more info. on this awesome author.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite July Reads

Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon {mentioned in previous post} City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert “…at some point in a woman’s life, she just gets tired of being ashamed all the time. After that, she is free to become whoever she truly is.” I loved living vicariously through Vivian during 1940s-era New York.  It read slow and I kind of wondered where the plot was going at times, but I'm glad I finished it. I ended up liking this way more than I anticipated .   Wife After Wife by Olivia Hayfield I thought this book, a modern retelling of the life and wives of England's King Henry VIII, was fantastic in a soapy kind of way.  Afterward I made my husband watch all four seasons of The Tudors with me.   Heavy by Kiese Laymon I can't find words of my own to describe this book, so I'm going to borrow a review from Roxane Gay.  I'm aware that this is lazy reviewing, but as a white person I lack the understanding of what it is to be a POC.  That's part of the reason

Code Name Hélène by Ariel Lawhon

"I don’t see why we women should just wave our men a proud goodbye and then knit them balaclavas. " Nancy Wake I've been anxiously awaiting Ariel Lawhon 's latest book since last year. After reading and enjoying her three previous historical fiction novels, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one.  Let me tell you, I was not disapointed! In this book, Lawhon tells the story of Nancy Wake , a nurse and journalist from New Zealand who came to live in France before World War II. Through her work as a journalist, she had witnessed horrifying acts of violence committed by Nazis.  She eventually met and married a Frenchman named Henri Fiocca.  When the war broke out, she began working with the French Resistance and eventually had to flee over the Pyrenees mountains into Spain, then to Great Britain where she trained with the Special Operations Executive (SOE).  She was then parachuted back into France where she continued working against the Nazis until the end of th