.

It's about love, it's about compassion, it's about kindness, and faith. It has nothing to do with luck. You get what you give…

So give good.

27 April 2012

It Takes Great Courage

The other day I stumbled across this post and before I even read it, I told myself NOT to read the comments.  I don't watch Army Wives anymore;  and not because I'm one of those people who don't like it because it's "fake."  It's a tv show, for Pete's sake!  Even "reality" tv isn't so "real."  Anyway, the subject of homosexuality which was discussed in a recent episode really hits home to me.  You see, I have two younger brothers.  Both of them are gay. 

I went around in a total funk yesterday with my feelings hurt because of some of the downright mean and hateful comments that were left.  Let me tell you, as someone who KNOWS, homosexuality is NOT a choice.  Growing up in a small town was so very hard on both of my brothers;  I've seen them struggle with depression, angst, self medication with drugs and alcohol, thoughts of suicide, etc.  Why in the world would someone choose that?! 

I also have a family friend who went to West Point (a BIG deal for my small town) and became an Army doctor.  This girl is as sharp as a tack and was a great asset to the Army.  She eventually "came out" and was discharged.  This is absolutely ridiculous to me because she was a great soldier, a great doctor, and a true asset to our Army.  Now I know all of you Army wives have come across a soldier or two who is an absolute piece of shit, but is still allowed to stay in because of his or her heterosexuality.  How can that be right?

It's also so frustrating to me when people use the Bible as a weapon, or hide behind a few certain verses.  It's hypocritical to pick and choose from what one supposedly believes in just to suit ones needs.  We were all created in God's image.  And didn't Jesus say that we should love each other as he has loved us? 

I guess all I can do is continue to support my brothers and to pray; not only for them, but for the people who are so hateful and small minded when it comes to homosexuality.  Someday things will be better.  I have faith in that.

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."  e.e. cummings


My Life, from {Army} Brat to Wife



1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I feel the same way as you! It is NOT a choice and we are all made in God's image and he loves every single one of us! Why would anyone choose to be treated differently or raked over the coals for being "different". We are suppose to love one another for our differences! Thank you for being so honest and I wish more people felt the way that you do!

    ReplyDelete