This is one of my favorite new recipes-- I just love macaroni and cheese and this is a great variation on it.
Two-Pepper Macaroni and Cheese
This is my take on this recipe.
Ingredients5 cups uncooked pasta, I use whole-grain rotini (16 ounces uncooked pasta)
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped pickled jalapeño pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 slices wheat bread
one small dash of each: ground nutmeg and ground mustard (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add to pasta.
4. Add flour to pan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in jalapeño. Add cheese mixture to pasta, tossing well to coat. Stir in green onions. Spoon pasta mixture into a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Place bread slices in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure about 1 cup. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Combine butter and breadcrumbs in a small bowl; toss until blended. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until browned.
6. Enjoy! I usually pair this meal with thin ham slices.
* * * * *
I also found a recipe for Ranch Chicken Macaroni and Cheese and I can't wait to try it!
It actually snowed in Texas today, and I have to say that I'm not surprised at all that Buddy loves snow. He's laying by the window now looking out and I'm sure he wishes I'd let him out to play some more, ha! I was super suprised, however, when I found out they had closed post down early because of the weather! E is celebrating right this moment by taking a nap, ha!
I went to Old Navy yesterday because they have tshirts on sale and I found the cutest little hoodie for Buddy... and I just had to have it!
I think he looks precious in it:
I hope everyone is staying nice and warm today!