.

It's about love, it's about compassion, it's about kindness, and faith. It has nothing to do with luck. You get what you give…

So give good.

03 September 2009

My mom called today at 7 am to let me know that our family pet, Benjy, had died early this morning. It's times like this where I really wish I didn't live on the opposite, or as I like to say, the wrong side of the country. He really was a part of our family. My mom surprised us with him in the summer of 1998 and we fell in love with him immediately.

He was eleven. For the past eleven years I've gone through high school, college, two deployments (my Dad's and E's), and got married. We have all been through so much and he's been there every step of the way.

My mom said that he had been sick last week and was starting to act wierd last night. When she woke up this morning she said he was twitching and she picked him up and starting rocking him. When she held him she said that he calmed down, took a big breath and died in her arms. I'm so thankful that he didn't die during the night and that he had some comfort as he passed. My mom was crying saying that she remembed the first time she held him that he was no bigger than a toilet paper roller. My younger brother came over to help Dad bury him-- they buried him in the flower garden and my brother even bought a little pet grave marker.

We all knew Benjy's time was coming, as his health has gotten worse over the past few months, but it still came as a surprise.

{Ben last Christmas.
It was my first Christmas away from home,
so mom made sure to email Christmas pictures to me.}

I just really wish I could be there for my parents right now-- I know they are taking this harder than they're letting on. They're feeling the empty nest syndrome really bad (my brothers and I all moved out within a short time) and the dogs kept them company. They still have the Cocker Spaniel, though and she keeps them more than occupied. Benjy hated her but she loved him-- she always mothered/ looked after him. Mom said that even Maggie (the cocker) cried a little bit. It all just breaks my heart, but I know he needed to go-- life was just getting a little too hard for little man.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh that is aweful! I am so sorry! I know how much losing the family pet means! RIP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you're doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear this. I remember when my childhood dog passed away, it's tough, they really feel like part of the family. Hopefully you have wonderful memories with Benjy, and I am sure y'all gave him a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Losing a pet is the worse!! I am sorry for your loss :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I'm sorry. Dogs really do become family members!

    ReplyDelete