.

It's about love, it's about compassion, it's about kindness, and faith. It has nothing to do with luck. You get what you give…

So give good.

14 August 2009

Show Us Your Life: Vacations

Photobucket



I'm not going to blog about a vacation, but a school trip I took during my senior year of college instead. Once a year at the university I attended, students in the English program could apply to go on a trip hosted by an English department faculty member. The trip I applied for was a trip to Stratford, Ontario in Canada to see three plays in the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. I know I'm a nerd, but I can't help it-- I LOVE William Shakespeare and was delighted when I was chosen to attend this trip. The trip was completely paid for, even meals, and all we were responsible for was paying for souveniers. I would love to go this year, because they're playing two of my favorite plays: A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Importance of Being Earnest.

In Canada, we saw Twelfth Night, Much Ado About Nothing, and John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi. I really enjoyed the fact that the Shakespeare plays were not set in the Elizabethan period. Twelfth Night was set in India and the costumes and music were amazing! Much Ado About Nothing was set in 1800-ish Italy and it was lovely as well. The Duchess of Malfi, however, was set in Elizabethan England.

I somehow managed to lose all of my pictures from Canada (my last computer died...while E was deployed...one can imagine how happy that made me), but I did look some up. You can find them here, here, and here. I had a hard time finding good ones....

A few things I will always remember about Stratford was Distinctly Tea, a wonderful, little tea shop a few of my classmates and I stumbled upon (their blueberry tea is divine!), and the swans. Swans are mean and will bite; unfortunately, I know from experience.

Photobucket

Maybe someday I'll talk E into taking me back.... For the plays, not for the swans....

Photobucket

{I love Bill, don't tell E ;o)}

He was not of an age, but for all time.
Ben Jonson

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like it would be a fun and interesting trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great trip! I would love to go there sometime!

    Do you have any idea where you are headed to? We will be moving late Dec/Jan time frame, but we won't get our orders until around Oct. Hopefully tomorrow we will have a better idea of where we could possibly go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and it looks like you were at Stewart, that could be an option for us. How did you like it?

    ReplyDelete